Custom Search

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Looking down at your watch and realizing it's time to close up shop

I started my day as the late shift which meant I headed straight over to the cattery to start cleaning there. Nothing too exciting aside from a few new cats and no one actually pooped outside of their boxes. It was a little annoying to find out that we were going to be short handed again and that weren't going to be able to get everything finished by the time the doors opened.

While I was cleaning the cattery I noticed one of the new guys named Spot. He was a little unusual because he was a tabby, but his tail was basically a nub. I was talking to a volunteer and she thought it might be a specialty breed so we decided to look it up. It turns out that he is a Manx, a unique breed with some unique characteristics. After reading up I thought to myself if I ever get a cat this would be the type I would get. The information I got was that the breed has some similar behaviors to dogs, like burying their toys and playing fetch. Hopefully we can find him a rescue that specializes in Manx cats or that he will get adopted very quickly from our shelter do to his uniqueness.

Once the cattery was done and we had learned about our new resident it was time to head over to the rabbitat. Of course by this time it was already eleven and we were getting calls from the front desk to help out with donations that were being brought in. Luckily we were able to get the bunnies taken care of with relative ease. Since I have never included a picture of our bunnies I thought to myself "why not" today. Here is a bonded pair that has been at the shelter for as long as I can remember.

Moving on there were a few showings today with cats and kittens being the main focus. Of course I was engulfed in cleaning so I wasn't quick enough on the radio to take the first few calls for showings. I did however get the laundry taken care of as well as teaming up with another coworker to organize and disinfect all of our crates and and other random things back in ISO. All I have to say is it looks a lot better but not sure if it was worth doing it in the heat with some wicked high humidity. I could actually ring out my shirt when I was done. I have to say I have been pretty spoiled in my careers not having to deal with some of the stuff that I run into here.

I got word that a few kittens, a cat, and our little Bambi the Italian greyhound chihuahua mix had all gotten adopted. It was great news because our cats have certainly got the short end of the stick the last few months. Hopefully the trend will continue and we can get all of our animals out of here.

With the day coming to an end and all of daily chores taken care of I was asked to take another showing with Sprocket. He is a boxer that was already adopted out once but returned because he was just too much for the adopters original dog at home. The people I was showing him to had already been in once and this was their second visit to play with him again. I could see that they absolutely loved him and were fore warned about his "boxer playfulness". They still wanted to think about it for one more night to be sure. I completely agreed with them and told them it is a big decision that will be for the next ten years. I do hope they return to give our guy a well deserved loving home.

Well, like I said, before I knew it I looked at the clock and it was already six. I have to say that today was one of those days that it seemed like everyone was in one of those moods, especially me. I know that with any job those days are bound to happen so I am just going to take it with a grain of salt and move on. I know that tomorrow is another day and since I missed Sunday I will be working Thursday and than also helping out on Friday so get ready for some more blogs and maybe something a little different since they aren't the normal days that I typically work. Thanks for reading and I look forward to your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment