Custom Search

Thursday, September 17, 2009

I would have stayed late


I started as the late shift today which meant that I was assigned to take care of our feline friends this morning. The good part about doing this is that I can keep a hot cup of coffee close at hand while cleaning which makes the morning a little more bearable.

Once all of the cats were taken care of in the cattery I moved on to the satellite kennels that house another four or so cats. The reason we have so many is because we want the cats to be as comfortable as possible and staring across the room at other cats in the cattery can make a few of them a little nutty. Because of that we have several cats either in their own rooms (offices of staff members) or in large stand up kennels that allow them more room. In any case it's good to use a checklist when cleaning these guys just to make sure that you don't miss any.

Of course the garbage, laundry, and dishes needed to get done but within fifteen minutes the staff members attacked and took care of all of the morning duties. I have to say that after all of the morning cleaning I was rather bored because there just weren't any showings coming back for potential adoptions. At least we had some time to spend with the dogs.

Later I finally got my first showing. It was with several of the second chance chihuahuas that had come in during the previous week. It was an interesting showing because it was with a woman that adopted a dog named Kazi as a service animal about two months ago. She loved him so much that she wanted to get him a new companion for herself as well as for him. We found a few that might work, cat tested them and then introduced them to her dog. One of the showings the little chi got growled off but the other one went pretty well. Now just the husband would have to meet to make sure everyone was in agreement.

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful just making sure all of the "daily do's" were taken care of. This was a pretty simple task because KCS (kids community service) started back up again along with the school year so the afternoon jobs were pretty well taken care of by them.

Right at the end of the day I got called to a showing with about four different chihuahuas. I read over the profile and saw that everything looked ideal for one of our dogs, it was just a matter of finding the right one. I spoke with the family about their needs and got a good idea of what they were looking for. Once I gathered all of the information I was able to figure out which dogs would work best. After looking at three potentials and getting different reactions from both the animals and the potential adopters the decision was made on Prince Charming. A small little four pound chihuahua that was a little skittish at first but ended up just lounging in the man's arms for the entire showing. It's funny thought that this is the same dog that the woman had felt was the best fit for her as well. I'm just glad that someone adopted him and that he will go home the first opportunity that he gets.

Even though my last showing took close to an hour I would have stayed longer to make sure that this family found the perfect addition. No matter how bad your day is going when you find the right dog for the right family makes it all worth while. I just hope the woman I spoke of earlier and her pal Kazi find the right fit as well.

The picture above is one of our special needs guys Bogey. He was diagnosed with Lupus but as you can see he is still full of spunk and will watch you from the top of his kennel if you are to low to the ground. Thanks for reading everyone and I look forward to your comments, and remember to follow us on facebook, the more the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment