Custom Search

Friday, September 18, 2009

Just when you think it's getting boring

Getting out of my car this morning I noticed something moving in front of the gate to the shelter. To my surprise it was two very young puppies that were "placed" there. I couldn't believe my eyes, not only were they there but they weren't even on a leash. Apparently from the time the shelter had closed to me getting there at eight someone dropped these animals off with no thought that they could actually walk off and even worse have something else happen to them.

Once I gathered up the two puppies and got them situated in the shelter and fed a few other staff members and myself went out on a search party to see if there were any more that might have wondered off. I'm not sure if it is a good thing or not but we weren't able to find any more. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that there were only two of them dropped off. All I know is that these little girls, who we named Fionna and Wembley, were incredibly hungry as you can see from the picture below.

Once everything got settled down it was time to actually get to work. We took care of all the cleaning and went to start the laundry when we noticed that we were out of propane. What that means is no hot water and more importantly no dryer heat. Now I'm not complaining that we don't have to do laundry today but the fact that I know it will eventually have to get done makes me cringe.

After the cleaning was done it was back to have some puppy time. It's amazing how calming it can be to hold a puppy. There of course was still a little fear because I knew that there was a good chance that these little five week old cuties would be shipped off to county. To my surprise though I learned that we would be keeping them if their health checked out. Luckily their test for parvo came back negative so it was a thumbs up. Now they are still too young to have at the shelter so they will go on foster with another staff member until the appropriate time.

The rest of the day was pretty uneventful but the individual that adopted Prince Charming came in today to visit his new family member. Prince Charming, or should I say Reeses, won't be able to go home until next week once he has been neutered.

To close out the week I thought I would add one more picture of one of the adorable little puppies that made their way to our shelter. There are only a few things in life that can calm you as much as holding a puppy and looking into that face of pure innocence.

1 comment:

  1. That's what it's all about! :) innocence and the protecting and nourishing of it.

    ReplyDelete