Custom Search

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A few new requests

After all of the cleaning today it was time to help out with a dog introduction. I'm skipping all of the cleaning today, at least writing about it, but if you want to know what went on you can read yesterday's blog about it all.

The introduction that I was helping with was with our little man Paprika, yes, he is a man even though I keep calling him a she. We were introducing it to a wonderful female service dog that likes to come over to the potential adopters house quite often. I was amazed at the obedience of the animal that we were introducing our dog to. In fact I think this is the first showing where a two dogs did their handshakes, were able to walk side by side together, and in the end completely ignore each other. Since we weren't looking for playmates it was good enough for us. The adoption was a go and our little man who likes to scream at the top of his lungs for attention is going home. This was a good start to the day.

Once the adoption was all taken care of it was back to some daily chores and a whole lot of laundry. I'm not sure how it always happens but no matter how much laundry you do there is always a pile waiting. Well, this past week the pile has grown and grown and is now outside the door. It's really fun when those pee stained blankets and beds marinate in the sun too, you can only hold your breath so long when doing laundry. Hopefully it's a little more overcast tomorrow and the smell won't be to bad.

After all of the chores were done one of our med staff people asked me for a favor. I knew he was and the vet were the only one here today so I obliged. I should have know something was awry when he asked me with a grin on his face. We walked outside and he proceeded to hand me a dog dish and ask if I could get a urine sample on a dog. I figured what the hell, it was something different. I ended up switching the dishes out for a small cat dish, the dog was a chihuahua mix, slapped on some rubber gloves and took the dog to one of the show yards. Luckily within about thirty seconds she started to pee and even lifted her leg a little so all I had to do was toss down the dish and I got the sample. I know you're probably thinking that it wasn't the most sanitary thing to do for a urinalysis but it is going to be a recheck so that was really all they needed. Later on I helped out a few more times just restraining a few animals for a checkup. I have to say it was a new experience for me and I was glad I could help.

The rest of the day went off without a hitch. We did have one more adoption of our little kitten named Wally. He was the five day old cat that was found in a wall and brought to the shelter where he was bottle fed and cared for by fosters. It was great to see him go home to a loving family and know that he will be well taken care of.

That's about it for the day. I do have to say thanks to all of the volunteers as usual and also to one of our staff members that will be leaving us. Hopefully she comes and volunteers and experiences that aspect of the shelter as well. Thanks for reading everyone and I look forward to your comments. Oh yeah, the picture at the top is Wally napping next to one of his kitten friends before he was adopted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget