Custom Search

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I had almost forgotten what it smells like

I started my day with the task of cleaning up East and West kennels which included the ten new arrivals. I had forgotten that on the day after our second chance dogs arrive you always want to come in early to make sure you don't have to clean them. Unfortunately though I was too late and had a whole lot of cleaning to look forward too.

I took care of East first making sure that I didn't cross contaminate anything and do my best to keep the healthy dogs healthy. I was able to get it done rather quickly since there really weren't any messes that needed attending too. Of course then I moved on to the sickies. At first I was really optimistic when I saw a kennel that the dogs held it all night. As I moved to the next one it got progressively worse. By the time I got to the last kennel I was greeted with a few nice pools of liquid diarrhea that definitely made my stomach gurgle, even when I breathed through my mouth. I have to say it has been a while since I experienced this and have actually gotten used to not smelling it, hopefully tomorrow their stomach's will settle down and no one will have to deal with the nastiness as I like to call it.

Once we were done cleaning I was asked to help out with the weekly shopping. I agreed in an instant just to get out of the heat for a little while. Before I knew it we were heading out for the first stop at Wal Mart and then on to Costco. All I have to say is how can these places be so crowded on a Tuesday afternoon. I can't remember the last time I went into ether of these stores and now I know why. I think I would rather be scooping poop than trying to get through the crowds of shopping carts and the people steering them into your kidneys. Yes, that's right, I said kidneys. The one thing I will take from my shopping experience today is the old man that was looking in awe at the over sized package of something and smashed his cart right into me. Then without hesitation, as if in some sort of trance, he never said a word and proceeded to the free samples. Man, I can't wait to come back to Costco.

Now that I am off my rant it was back to the shelter and on to some showings. I had several showings but in the end only one was really a good match for the dogs that we had available. The rest of them should be back on Saturday when our new second chance dogs become available. The one that was a good match was one of those showings that takes a good amount of time which is not a bad thing. The woman was looking at a toy poodle and was taking the potential responsibility of pet ownership very seriously. Not only was she asking a lot of questions she even had one of her close friends come up to visit the dog as well. I honestly like it when people take their time. Too many people rush into pet ownership not realizing how much time and effort is needed to provide for these animals. In the end I left for the day and the woman was talking to her mother, hopefully when I return our little poodle Frankie will be adopted.

Today was one of those days that you really don't have time to think what you are doing. You also don't have time to take any pictures for your blog. In the end it was a good day that went by in a flash. I'll find out tomorrow if it was a great day if there are some adoptions. Thanks for reading and I look forward to your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget