Custom Search

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Not a day to remember

Typically my Friday's are spent doing animal intakes and data entry back in the medical suite of the shelter, well, some of that happened. I started the day off by trying to square away the situation that arose late yesterday afternoon about a person who was trying to unload twenty two rabbits. Well, I got the whole low down from other rescue organizations and I learned that the woman takes very good care of the animals, but she just has too many. I was able to talk to animal services in her area and they were going to see what they could do because the person was in such dire need to get rid of the animals. When I hear more I will certainly pass it along.

Initially it seemed like my day in medical would be a slow one with four intakes and some data entry. When I went up to the front desk I learned that the person relinquishing their cats had no shown up, but there were a few other people there. An adopter that had taken home an animal just last week was returning his dog because of separation anxiety. It was a feasible reason but I still wish people would try a little longer than six days. While this was happening another older man came in, slapped some papers on the counter and said "I want to return this dog" like we were Wal Mart. I was completely stunned and asked the man if he had called first. He went into his spiel about how the dog was just too much for him and his wife. He said if he had known the history of the dog it might have been better. This was one of those moments that I truly have to bite my tongue and try not to actually speak my mind. Anyways, we always take back our animals and we will make sure that this sweet animal;s next home will be her forever home.

Later in the day we finally did a few cat intakes. The first one was a sweet little girl that was easily a yes as far as adoptability. The other two cats were a little bit different though. They seemed fine early on but once the actual intake began we found out very quickly that these cats were feisty. In any case, rather than four cat intakes it ended up being just the one.

Of course all of the craziness wasn't over yet. We got a call that yet another animal was being returned. This time is was for another bite. I couldn't believe the day today. There really couldn't have been anything else that could have happened. Of course though I never mentioned that there was just one person at the front desk this entire time while I was in medical so I was bouncing back and forth trying to deal with the returns. Anyways, the new return has to go on bite quarantine for ten days and then be reassessed.

Closing out this crazy and crappy day we had to do re-intakes on the three dogs that got returned. Luckily it was pretty easy but after today I just want to go home. Thanks for reading everyone and I look forward to you comments. Hopefully tomorrow will have a few more smiles than tears.


  1. I really enjoy reading your blog. Thank you for what you do for the animals! You're a special person. Lori

  2. ughhhh 3 dogs returned in one day?? that blows.. hopefully they find real loving families next time.

  3. We are rescue dogs LuLu and LoLLy. We have 2 more rescues in our pack too. Thank you for all you are doing. Our friendz just decided to make National Humin Day for Good Humans and you are one! Please keep up all you are doing, it means more than you will ever know. Love, your PaLs, LuLu and LoLLy


There was an error in this gadget