Custom Search

Friday, February 12, 2010

Trying to get through the day

Today was one of those days that as soon as it started I was ready for it to end. The morning started out pretty normal, me opening up the front desk. I had a little extra free time so I helped out a few other co-workers and then went back to my corner of the shelter. Typically Thursdays are pretty busy up at the front desk because all of the adopted animals that just had surgery are able to go home, well today there were only three.

The preparation for these animals to go home is pretty simple, especially since the adoption deposit they made initially covers just about everything. Basically all we have to do is go into our computer system and "adopt out" the animal in there, print out some medical history, and state how the adopters paid. Not rocket science but you still have to be pretty careful because the computer system can get a little complicated and it's best that we stick to one way of doing everything.

Once the first animal went home I was already getting bored, there is only so much you can do when you have three staff members covering all the daily tasks. Luckily one of them wanted to get out of here early so without hesitation they were sent home. Just so you know I think every staff member here today wanted to get out of here early. See, we got some bad news about our cat that I was talking about yesterday. It turns out that there were even more lumps than originally expected and we had to euthanize her. This is the hardest part about this job but then again it was something that had to be done. That is all I am going to talk about that because it's still a little early for me.

The rest of the day dragged on, that is of course until 4:45 when everything hit the fan. We had a number of late showings as well as a number of volunteers taking animals on foster. Not to mention that we still had one of our adopters come to pick up their dog at 4:59. Hey, as long as they get to go home I am O.K. with that. On top of all of this we also had an adoption take place right as we were closing. Like I said before, and the staff agrees, as long as an animal gets to go home we are all fine with staying late.

Today was a pretty rough one, a day that if I drank I would have probably had two when I got home. Maybe another day I will go into more details about how crappy it was but for now I'll talk about the good things that took place. Thanks for reading everyone and I'll talk to you soon.

1 comment:

  1. i'm very sorry to hear about the poor kitty that had the tumors. She's in a better place now and you've all done what you could. You can't save every animal.. though i understand its hard not to want to try..

    As i've mentioned before i really enjoy reading your posts! I think what you do is very meaningful and I thank you for sharing your experiences! I want you to have the Superior Scribbler Award. You can pick this up at my blog. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete