Custom Search

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

My Friday

I wanted to try something a little different today. I know there is always the same old thing about cleaning up some poop, doing some laundry, taking out the garbage, and washing some dishes. Today that is all you get for the cleaning. Instead I'm going to focus on the animals and how I feel today. The first thing I want to mention is the puppy showing that we had early on in the day.

Of course since I'm the only one that could touch the puppies again today, every time there was a showing with them I would have to carry the little 20 pound guys about 300 yards down to their play area. I do need to mention that the other two from the litter that we have came back from foster today so now we have all four poop machines at the kennel. Since the first showing had already seen two of them they wanted to see the new ones that came into today. While I was carrying the little guys down another staff member noticed the herniated umbilical chord on one of the puppies. Nothing to serious but it will require surgery when he gets neutered. When we got down to the yard the young couple fell in love with the two new puppies. After a few minutes we brought down one of the original two to get a feel for him too. We left them alone and when we came back they had made up their mind. The little chocolate brown guy with green eyes found a new home.

The reason this adoption was so unique is the couple was very young and these were half pit bull puppies. To begin, a young couple is always a question but he owned his home which was a necessary and his dog got along great with the puppy. After a lot of red tape and a whole lot of patience from the adopter it got approved. The reason we have so many rules when adopting any percentage of a pit bull is about 75% of the places in this county the homeowners association will not allow it. It really is unfortunate that these dogs get such a bad rap for a few bad owners. Anyways, I think the little guy found a great home and hopefully we can keep updated on him.

Moving on in the day. I was asked to pick up a couple of dogs from the vets office. We only have a vet on property about once a week for surgeries so when their is a procedure that needs to get done immediately we send the animals to a local clinic. The funny thing was I didn't have my car today and had to take the vet tech's. Not that I don't like driving other people's cars I just get so paranoid about getting in a wreck I usually come pretty close to having a panic attack the first time I put it into reverse. Luckily everything went fine and I got the two little guys back to the shelter and hopefully one step closer to being adopted.

I know I wouldn't talk about laundry today but it leads into my next story. I was stocking towels in the cattery when I got a call over the walkie asking to take a call in the office. It turns out it was the woman that adopted Ziggy the cat yesterday. She wanted to tell me how well she fit in and how grateful she was to have her. The new owner actually said when she tried to sleep little Ziggy would lick her eyelids because she wanted more time with her. It was another one of those fuzzy moments for me when you can actually see a difference in someone's life rather than the difference between a poo stained kennel and a clean one.

The rest of the day was pretty normal. I did have a few rejections for some adopters wanting to look at the puppies because they were eithier too young or rented their home. I also learned that if you feed our little girl that is still on medical hold by hand she eats a lot more. Hopefully we can get her to gain some weight and get her adopted out soon.

In closing I have to tell everyone thank you all so much for your wonderful comments and continuing to share my experiences. It is a great feeling to know that others care. To answer a comment I got a few days ago yes, the little guy that got adopted was Luigi. I got to spend some time with him today and say my goodbyes since he will be leaving for is forever home on Wednesday. It was sad to say goodbye but it was a great feeling to know he was getting out of here.

I also wanted to let everyone know that I am taking some time off for Easter so don't worry when there is nothing written this weekend. I will be back on the grind Monday morning and hopefully sharing some more incredible experiences with everyone. Thanks again to all of the readers and have a great week.

1 comment: